Tuesday 14 July 2015

Internal Server Error 500 + Apache + GoDaddy + .htaccess

A customer website hosted at GoDaddy suddenly started displaying the message: "Internal Server Error 500."  I quickly determined the problem was with the .htaccess file.  I knew this file had been unchanged for quite some time and it was clear to me the problem was with how Apache on GoDaddy's Server was processing the .htaccess file.  I contacted GoDaddy on multiple occasions and provided GoDaddy with the exact date and time the problem started.  I was never given a proper solution to this problem.  In fact, I was essentially told they could not help me and the responsibility for the issue was with me.  I expressed to them the problem involved their virtual hosting and provided them with other domains at GoDaddy using the same .htaccess file without issue.  The only lines in the .htaccess file was the following:

AddHandler fcgid-script .html
FCGIWrapper /usr/local/cpanel/cgi-sys/php5 .html

I replaced it with this:
AddType application/x-httpd-php5 .php5 .php4 .php .php3 .php2 .phtml .htm .html

The Internal Server Error is no longer present and PHP functionality has returned to HTML files.  It was my impression the first level technicians were not properly routing my call.  It is unfortunate that GoDaddy does not appear to have an email contact form for Technical Support.  Email is quite effective at documenting and sharing technical information.  Without being properly routed to a GoDaddy Hosting Administrator, I am left to find a solution myself for what may have been a change made by GoDaddy staff to the Server hosting this website.  I am certain that if a second-level technican in the GoDaddy Hosting Department had been assigned this ticket, they would very likely have been able to isolate the source of this problem and resolve the issue at GoDaddy.  I think many customers would greatly benefit if GoDaddy re-evaluated their present routing of tech support calls.